26 June 2008

Strawberry Fields Forever



Yesterday I was able to join CdB Montessori on a field trip to the Strawberry Patch! It's at the same orchard that we've gone to get our Halloween pumpkins every year since Toad was a baby (run by my former co-worker Kit and her family). We learned how strawberries grow and got a lesson in picking the very best berries. It was wonderful to kneel at the plants and search for ripe berries. It brought back a lot of memories from my childhood, running out to the garden and eating right from the plants -- strawberries, raspberries, peas. Someday I'll have a little patch of heaven in my own backyard.

Toad had a terrific time filling his basket, as you can see by the picture. It was the hottest day of the year so far, but none of the kids complained. We toured the patch and the apple orchard on a wagon pulled by a tractor (always a hit with the kids), had duck races, and had lunch in the cafe. And Toad has actually been eating strawberries! Before yesterday he was scared of the seeds!

www.applejackorchards.com

1 comment:

LisaKay said...

Good deal! I think I'll have some strawberries at my Fourth of July picnic. :)